Thursday, December 9, 2010

Play-doh

Yesterday Maya and I made play-doh. It was actually a request by Maggie's teacher for one of their centers. I think they're making "cookies" or something. Anyway, the request was for scented play-doh. I've made play-doh before so what the heck. I ended up making 3 batches...peppermint, raspberry, and chocolate.

For the first 2 (peppermint & raspberry) I used the recipe her teacher had sent out:

Combine and boil until dissolved
2 cups water
1/2 cup salt
food coloring
scented extract (vanilla, almond, peppermint, etc.) - use A LOT of extract. I thought I used a lot and the smell was very strong when it was just the boiling water and salt, but when you added everything else and it was done, almost no smell. Oh well -live and learn!

Mix in while VERY HOT
2 T. cooking oil
2 T. baking powder
2 cups flour

Knead until smooth (about 5 min.) and store in an air tight container.

Then I remembered that I'd seen a recipe for chocolate play-doh somewhere on one of the blogs I read. I swear it was "edible", but I couldn't find that one. I did find this one though from My Montessori Journey. It smells divine - like brownies, but believe me, you do NOT want to eat it. I tried a tiny bite just to see if it was, perhaps, edible. It was a no go. : )

Mix together thoroughly
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup salt
2 t. cream of tartar

Then add 1 1/2 T. cooking oil and 1 cup boiling water. Mix and knead until you have a smooth ball of dough.

Happy playing!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Thanks for the recipes! I was just trying to look up how to make playdough that was ok to eat (on accident of course). :)