Monday, January 26, 2009

Alphabet Bugs Invade!!!

The other day, Daniel was over for the day. Daniel and Maggie go to preschool together, but Daniel has no interest in anything academic and so doesn't know his letters, etc. Maggie of course is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum, so since I am a fully qualified educator with an expired license, I am making it my mission to teach Daniel his letters. I know in order to do this, it's going to have to be in the form of games. He's a smart cookie and knows right away when you try to "quiz" him. So, I found this game called Alphabet Bugs. It looked like something they might have fun with so I gave it a try!

These are the Alphabet Bugs. Letters with wings. Ingenious I know.

Anyway, I color coded the wings on 2 sets of Alphabet Bugs and cut them apart. Mags and Daniel had to glue one set, in alpha order, to a long piece of paper.

The other set, I taped all over the living room...invasion of the Alphabet Bugs!!!

Their mission was to find all their colored Alphabet Bugs, and match them up with the ones already glued to the paper. Daniel's were blue, Mags had red.

When they found them all and got them all matched up appropriately, they got a couple of gummy bears. Maggie did this really easily, Daniel had some trouble, but I think they both had fun and Maggie has already asked to do it again. I think I need to modify it for her and do words or something. The letters were too easy.
I thought I'd share this since the kids had so much fun! Here's where I found it: http://www.toddlertoddler.com/todays_alphabet_bugs_learning_activity.htm

No comments: