Sunday, September 26, 2010

Maggie turns 6!

This time 6 years ago I was holding my hours old first child. I was absolutely pooped, but so happy that my little girl was FINALLY here! My mom and grandma were also here and were putting every ounce of their energy into jockying for position to hold tiny baby Maggie.

Today, she is a big girl. She is tall. She is smart. She is funny. She is helpful. She is reading, tying her own shoes, doing cartwheels and backwalkovers, started kindergarten and has just lost her first tooth.

How'd that happen?

How come when you're a child time passes so slowly, and when you're a parent, it flies by so fast? How come when you're a parent and you want to keep your babies babies for a long time, it seems like you blink and they're all grown up? It really makes you appreciate the time you have with them. Time that they'll let you hold their hand in public...kiss them goodbye before getting on the bus, actually wanting to hang out with YOU on their birthday.

Today Mags chose to be with me (and her friend Meghan). We spent the good part of the day at the Mall of America going on the rides at Nickelodian Universe. She didn't want Maya or daddy to come, she wanted to go with me. We lunched, we went on what seemed like a million rides, we ate cotten candy, we had a lot of fun! After an afternoon at the mall, we picked up daddy and Maya and headed out for a birthday dinner...at Applebees and had some neighbors over for cake and ice cream.

She told me tonight while we were reading that last night she wished on a star. I told her not to tell me what she wished for because her wish might not come true. She said that it had already come true. She said that she wished for a really good birthday. Enough said. Happy Birthday Mags! Mommy and daddy love you so much! Try not to grow up too fast.

2 comments:

Callie said...

Too Cute! Happy Birthday Mags.
oh and Gretch...last year...try 6 years ago.

Sidney Ann said...

Love it. I'm so impressed with who she has become!